Commercial flagship plant for bio-ethanol production involving a bio-based value chain built on lignocellulosic feedstock
- Build and operate a commercial flagship production plant for biochemical lignocellulose conversion to cellulosic ethanol with a yearly production capacity of up to 60.000 tonnes/year.
- Focus innovation on the whole value chain from raw material to product for successful market entry of lignocellulosic ethanol.
- Implement a highly innovative technology based on Clariant’s patent portfolio.
- Optimized and integrated use of coproducts for energy or materials enabling the replacement of fossil alternatives.
- Shorten time to market and successfully penetrate market with 2nd generation bioethanol made in the EU.
- Develop EU´s economy smart, sustainable and inclusive, especially in rural areas.
- Produce cellulosic ethanol at large scale with maximum greenhouse gas emission savings and ensure to reach sustainable practice and usage of agricultural residues and co-products.
- Creation of a new biobased value chain for cellulosic ethanol production
- Mobilization of a so far underutilized renewable feedstock
- Boost to local economies through creation of green jobs, taxation and new business opportunities, predominantly in the agricultural and rural area.
- Collaboration within and linking of the agricultural, logistics, energy and chemical sector.
- Economic advantages and additional business opportunities for all actors along the supply chain, especially the agricultural sector
- Proof of commercial production of cellulosic ethanol and thus creation of a new, competitive and sustainable source of domestic renewable energy for the EU.
- Realizing the objectives of Horizon 2020 and other EU policies, by accelerating the implementation and deployment of cellulosic ethanol production plants in Europe.